Term 3 Overview
During this term, the children will be learning all about toys. In English the children will be looking at a variety of books including using “Traction Man is Here” to help them write a story. They will also be writing stories using their own toys. They will be continuing with Phase 5 phonics and guided reading. Please try to read with your child every day and remember to sign their reading diary, so that we know they are reading regularly at home.
In History we will be looking at toys from the past and comparing them with toys from the present.
In PSHE we will be talking about setting new goals linking with the start of the New Year.
In Computing the children will be learning to use programmable toys.
Learning behaviour in Year 1
Our motto is:
“It’s ok if you don’t know
but it’s not ok if you don’t try!”
Making mistakes help us learn and thoughts help us grow!
Remind your child that: “I can’t do it,” does not exist. Encourage them to think,”I can’t do it… Yet!
Every fortnight the children will be randomly paired up with a new learning partner. This helps to develop the children’s relationships with their classmates and ensures that all children are involved in whole class discussions.
Year 1 Class Rules and Learning Partners
The children in each class have agreed some class rules. This helps them to keep their name on the ‘green’ area of the class behaviour chart (green is good!) Through good behaviour, cooperation and effort, the children can earn house points which are counted up across the whole school each week.
Growth Mindset and Learning Powers
A growth mindset thinking can result in:
- A love of learning and self-improvement
- Wanting to be challenged
- A willingness to work
- A willingness to apply effort and practice
- Learning from mistakes and efforts
- Being self-motivated
Our whole school learning power for the autumn term is Engagement and our character that represents that learning behaviour is the wide-eyed owl, called Barney,
Home Learning books
We will send home a book next week which we would like your child to cover with their favourite pictures, wrapping paper or photos. Please make sure the book is clearly labelled with their name too.
Home Learning Grid
At the beginning of each term we will send home a home learning grid in your child’s home learning book. Please choose an activity from the grid to complete with your child each week.
- Please could we have PE kit in school at all times.
- All PE items should be clearly named.
- No jewellery to be worn.
- If ear studs cannot be removed they will be taped.
- Bare in mind school uniform on PE days e.g. pinafores and tights!
- PE sessions will take place twice a week.
- In June the children will undertake a phonic screening
- The phonic screen tests the children’s knowledge of segmenting and blending.
- They will be shown 40 real and nonsense words and be asked to read them.
- For the past three years the pass mark has been 32 out of 40.
- We will hold another meeting in January and in May regarding the Phonic Screening
Helping in the classroom
- Please let us know if you would like to come in to help in the classroom.
- You may be asked to work with small groups, listen to readers or help with classroom preparation. Whatever it is we would be very grateful!
- You will need to be DBS checked before you can start. Please ask at the office for a form. You will need a DBS if you hope to join us on a school trip too.