|13/12/2017||Christmas Holiday Project|
We hope you all had a fantastic half term break.
If you have any questions please feel free to contact a member of the year 2 team and we will do our very best to help.
Our topic and areas for learning this half term
This term the creative curriculum will explore ‘Land of the Rising Sun’ with a focus on Japanese food, homes, school and a Japanese Tea ceremony. Our English text is Mighty Mountain and the Three Strong Women.
We will also be learning facts about oceans and continents and geographical features of Japan like mountains, volcanoes and earthquakes.
Geography: Looking at maps/atlases continents and oceans of the world. Exploring geographical features of Japan like mountains, volcanoes and earthquakes.
D&T: Exploring Japanese food and using chopsticks.
ART: Exploring Carp Kites and children’s festivals and using water colours to paint cherry blossom based on the book The Cherry Blossom Tree.
COMPUTING: In computing the children will focus on being ‘photographers’ and will also explore online safety.
Maths and English
Maths and English will be taught daily. English will be made up of phonics, guided reading and a range of writing activities. Maths will include weekly times-tables and practise of the skills of each child’s level for the 99 club until they are in year 6.
Learning behaviour in Year 2
Our motto is:
It’s ok if you don’t know
But it’s not ok if you don’t try!
Making mistakes help us learn and thoughts help us grow! Encourage your child’s Love of Learning by getting them to explore their thought bubble ideas!
Remind your child that: “I can’t do it,” does not exist. Encourage them to think, “I can’t do it… Yet!”
Each week the children will be randomly paired up with a new learning partner. This helps to develop the children’s relationships with their classmates and ensures that all children are involved in whole class discussions.
Our whole school learning power for the spring term 2 is Being Resourceful and our character that represents that learning behaviour is a chimpanzee.
- I can plan the first step in a task.
- I can check my learning: What could I do if I get stuck?
- I can make comments about my finished work: What did I learn? How well did I do the task? Can I improve my work?
- I know what to do when things are too easy or too hard.
- I know I need to challenge myself.
- I can accept that sometimes I make a mistake.
- I know which learning power might help me in this part of my learning.
Class Rules & Year 2 Learning Partners
The children in each class have agreed some class rules. This helps them to keep their name on the ‘green’ area of the class behaviour chart (green is good!) Also each week a child from each of the year 2 classes will be chosen as a “Learning Partner of the week” and they will receive a certificate linked to the learning power.
Children will be given weekly spellings and timetables, which will need to be practised at home regularly. Please work on number fact fluency by making number pairs to 10 and 20 and chanting times tables at every opportunity.
Furthermore children are expected to read with an adult EVERY night.
The homework will be given out every Friday and must be returned every Wednesday.
Your child now has a ‘My Maths’ username and password and can play times-tables games online.
Purple mash is also very good for times tables tunes!
The homework book is marked with a star stamper
- X1 star for doing your spellings and times table practise.
- X2 stars if you have written you spellings out more times than required or tried to put some in a sentence. Also you must do your times tables and a few maths pictures to show counting in groups.
- X3 stars if you have used all of your spellings in different sentence types E.g. statement, command, question and exclamation. Also you must do times tables/maths pictures of counting in groups and some number sentences to go with it. You may draw some arrays to show your times table or division too.
Reading books will be changed x1 a week after your child has read with the teacher and completed a follow-up task. Your child may choose a storybook from the reading area every day if they wish to do so. Your child may also read books from home. Just make a note of it in the reading journal.
Music is on a Thursday.
Dance is on a Wednesday.
PE is on a Wednesday.
Reminder about PE kit: EVERY CHILD NEEDS A PE KIT.
Children MUST wear a white t shirt, dark shorts and black plimsolls.
Jewellery must not be worn for PE.